You’re 20 weeks along and you’re anxious to get organized, your 40 weeks and you’ve been so busy you haven’t had a chance to even think about packing, or your partner is newly pregnant and you want to figure out all this hospital stuff for her. Whatever the case, this information is for you!
Depending on where you live, these lists change! I have three kids and my first two were born in Canada and my third in Thailand. The hospitals, the system, the resources, are different! My advice to you, is to chat with your local hospital, doctor, and/or midwife to find current and location specific information on what the hospital provides and what it doesn’t provide!
Packing List for LABOUR AND DELIVERY
- Water Bottle. I’ve found the best type is one with a re-usable straw. When you’re in active labour and all your energy is spent during your contractions, even trying to tip up a water bottle and not spill it all over you seems like a big task! Funny but true! So save yourself some energy.
- Snacks, electrolyte drink (coconut water, gatorade or make your own labour energy drink)
- Loose clothing that can easily be taken off.
- Chapstick! Hospitals are dry. Trust me, you’ll need this!
- Something to wear in the bathtub and/shower (with nurses, doctors, and partners around). If you’re a free-spirit then go naked! If you’re not and you’d rather cover up, a bathing suit works well.
Packing List for MOM (Recovery and Comfort)
- Lanolin cream
- Nursing bra
- Breast pads
- Comfortable pajamas
- Other sleeping items (special pillow or blanket, etc.)
- Personal bathroom items (contacts, glasses, toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush, hair elastics, face lotion, makeup, etc.)
- Warm socks
- Sandals that are EASY to slip on and off
- 2 comfortable and loose outfits
- Large underwear. Seriously, go big or go home! Ha! But really, after baby comes you’ll be using large pads, ice packs and maybe a herb or two. Buy some granny panties in 2 sizes too big. Buying specific underwear for your postpartum will also help your nice ones stay nice!
- Large menstrual pads
- Ice pads
- Small laundry bag for dirty clothes
- Cell phone and charger
- Bluetooth speaker (if you want to listen to your own music)
- Important documents (insurance papers, passport, etc.)
If you’ve forgotten anything, then ask one of your ‘visitors’ to swing by your house and pick it up for you!